LIVE and ONLINE Mortgage Training for Your Team
Featured: LIVE Webinar 2020 CE 5 Dates to Choose From
  • search
    The CFPB posted an announcement to their website today. Statement by CFPB Direc

    California Department of  Business Oversight 

    Check state agency website for further information: California Department of Business Oversight

    Individual Licenses

    Mortgage Loan Originator License:

    All MLOs employed by finance lenders/brokers under the California Finance Lenders Law (CFLL) or residential mortgage lenders/servicers under the California Residential Mortgage Lending Act (CRMLA) must be licensed. MLOs may apply for a license by submitting a Form MU4 to the California Department of Business Oversight (DBO) through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS).


    The MLO license must be renewed each year between November 1 and December 31. MLOs must continue to meet all criminal, financial and background requirements at all times. FBI checks and credit checks may be required at renewal. All applicants must apply for a license through the NMLS by filing a Form MU4 and receiving a sponsorship by a company holding a valid unique identifier with NMLS and which is licensed by the California Department of Business Oversight.

     (More Details)

    Company Licenses

    Residential Mortgage Lending Act (CRMLA) license:

    This license is required for any company or person who makes or services residential mortgage loans in California. A CRMLA license is an alternative to the licenses under the California Finance Lenders Law or the California Real Estate Law. A licensed CRMLA lender is authorized to provide brokerage services to its borrowers. The MLO must also be employed by and sponsored by a Department of Business Oversight licensee under the CFLL or CRMLA. (More Details)

    Finance Lenders Law (CFLL) license:

    This License is required for any company or sole proprietorship that is engaged
    in the business of making or brokering consumer or commercial loans. A CFLL
    broker is authorized to act as a broker in connection with loans made by a CFLL
    lender. A license can be issued as a lender, a broker or both. Only companies
    making or brokering residential mortgage loans are required to be licensed
    through the NMLS. Companies that engage solely in the making or arranging of
    non-mortgage related or commercial loans must apply directly to the Department
    of Corporations.
    (More Details)

    Exempt Company Registration:

    This registration is available for any California state agency or exempt company
    that employs state-licensed mortgage loan originators but is not required to be
    licensed under the laws of California. This registration is discretionary and is
    intended for California state agencies and exempt companies that wish to manage
    their mortgage loan originators in NMLS. Please consult the California
    Department of Business Oversight (CA DBO) before applying for this registration. (More Details)

    Branch Licenses

    Residential Mortgage Lending Act (CRMLA) license (Branch):

    Each branch location desiring to conduct business under this license authority
    must be separately authorized and will require a filing of Form MU3 through the
    NMLS. All locations in California must be authorized. (More Details)

    Finance Lenders Law (CFLL) license (Branch):

    This license is required for all locations, other than the main office
    identified on the CFLL license that conducts business with California consumers.
    (More Details)